Monday, March 22, 2010

Taxing pop


I believe that in some instances scare campaigns can be an effective form of advertising. I think that in this particular instance the scare tactics used are effective in making people want to lead healthier lives. After seeing some of these campaigns I want to try and make sure that I am making healthier choices in my daily life.

I do believe that obesity is now an epidemic of large proportions. When walking down the street I see many more people who are overweight and/or obese than I noticed a few years ago. This is even more so when I visit my aunt and uncle in the United States. When going to restaurants for meals I have noticed that portions are getting larger and larger. Many restaurants have specials on items that are less healthy and are charging more and more for the healthier foods. There are also more buffet restaurants that encourage people to overeat.

Watching the video of the man drinking fat made me feel sick. It was plain nasty to see the liquified fat that he was trying to drink. It made me think about all the junk food and pop that I have eaten and what is doing to my body. Seeing the 10 pounds of fat poured onto the plate at the end of the video was disgusting. It made me feel very nauseated and not wanting to eat junk foods.

If a tax was put on soda pop, chips, candies and other junk foods it would discourage me from purchasing those items. I know that I would purchase the cheaper diet pops and healthier food items as I would want to save my money for other purchases rather than just giving it to the government. Also, as I am getting older I am more concerned about my health and wanting to maintain a healthy body weight to prevent diseases associated with being obese. I do not think that I am alone in this thinking. Many of my friends would also turn away from junk foods if they were taxed as they do not want to pay more for the sugary pops when the diet pop is just as good and would be cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment