Monday, March 22, 2010

Photoshop gone bad




I think that using photoshop to digitally improve the looks of models and celebrities in magazines is wrong because it shows them in ways that are very unrealistic. Many young children and teenagers as well as some adults feel that they must get their bodies to look just as skinny or toned. This can lead to many people who are "normal weights" to start with becoming anorexic or bulimic. Also, when these same people are shown made up many "normal" people will feel less attractive which can effect their self esteem.

I think that the models and celebrities that are being shown without their make-up is a good idea because it shows that they want to present themselves to the world as they really are. They are rebelling against the current media that are changing their appearance for profit.

The use of everyday people in magazine shots I think is a great idea because we get to see real people modelling the clothes. It lets those people reading the magazines and seeing the ads realize that they are normal too and that beauty comes in all ages, colours and sizes. I hope that this trend continues to grow so that more people can see the beauty in everyday folks. I do not see the women in my family in the altered photos but when I look at the non glammed up photos I can picture my sisters or even my mother in those photos which is more the normal in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment